SEO interview questions for Beginners
1. What is your own definition of SEO?
Ans: The process of making changes and optimizing your website according to search engine strategies so that the user can rank his/her website on the top at Search Engine Result Pages. Therefore, different tactics and strategies used to bring up the website on top is the main aim of the SEO(Search Engine Optimization).
2. Do you follow any Blog about SEO, if yes give the name?
Ans: ShoutmeLoud.com, SEO RoundTable, rustyblogger.com
3. What tool you use to do keyword research?
Ans: I use different tools like Ubersuggest and Google Keyword Planner
4. What is Page Title? What points you consider to create it for your pages?
Ans: A Page Title is separated from HTML code it is displayed in the Title bar of the browser. The search engine displays tags in search results. Therefore, the Search engine uses page title to recognize the content on the website.
Points considered to create pages are:
The content should be original.
Always concentrate on creating strong headlines.
Make your content actionable
Proficient enough to answer the queries.
Accuracy in reporting and sourcing.
Create engaging and thought-provoking content.
Communicate with users by adding up images and videos.
Write short and pointed contents
Keep updating your website and blogs.
5. What is on-page and off-page or onsite and offsite in SEO?
On-Page SEO: on-page SEO is making changes in website layout, coding, design, keyword contents, and HTML to make our website search engine friendly.
Off-Page SEO: It begins after on-page activities. In on-page activities, we built trust by linking our website to other big and trustful websites. these websites provide traffic. Off-page activities help in making a reputation and creating trust within them.
On-site SEO: Process of making your website appeal to both websites and users. It helps to improve both the public phase and coding phase of your website.
Off-site SEO: Process of promoting your website on the web. The purpose of creating this website is brand awareness, improve ranking and attract numerous users.
6. Does meta keywords still in use by a search engine, why some website still using it.
Ans: Meta Keywords are still not in use by a search engine. But search engines like Bing and yahoo use these meta Keywords with Extreme caution. you should tread your website carefully on being, as there are chances of being your website marked as spam. So, if you choose meta tags, avoid overstuffing of keywords and do not include keywords that are not related to the content of your page.
7. According to you what are the top 10 ranking factors?
Ans: Factors are classified into 2 subcategories:
- Use of keyword in title tag: placing of your keyword at the start of the title tag. Page optimization and better ranking of keywords will be there, due to closest to the title tag’s end.
- Use of keywords in meta description Tags: Including the keywords in meta tags makes more relevant to search engines and searchers.
- Use of H1 tags: H1 tag is another relevant factor, it is the good practice to include your keyword H1 tag on-page.
- Avoid Duplication of contents: write original copy for each page.
- Use of Canonical Tags: The purpose of using canonical tags is to prevent duplicate content issues.This tag tells Google that one URL is equivalent to another. Clearly stating that in spite of two pages having the same content, they are in fact one.
- The number of linking domains: no links domains linking to you is one of the most ranking factors.
- Link relevancy: Links from one page related to topics of other pages carry more relevancy for search engines.
- The domain authority of linking page: Links to pages with higher domain authority will big factor on the lower domain.
- Diversity of Link Types: Type of link building to your site matters too. Too many links of one type may be a spam indicator and impact your ranking negatively.
- Link anchors: anchor text of a link is build used to be a strong ranking factor.
8. What is the length of page titles that most search engines consider?
Ans: Search engine does not like long <title>. Thus the length of page titles must be not more than 70 characters, including spaces.
9. What is PageRank?
Ans: PageRank is an algorithm used by search engines to rank websites in their search engine results. Page Rank is basically the way of measuring the importance of website pages. This metric is no longer used.
10. What is a Backlink?
Ans: Backlink is a link which one website gets from another website. These are used for improving the website’s SEO ranking. A search engine does not allow backlinks but it’s important as its consider as the best factor to improve the website’s SEO ranking.
11. What is the role of anchor text in SEO?
Ans: Anchor text is a clickable text in a hyperlink. Seo practice dictates the anchor text to be relevant to the page you are linking with, rather than generic text.
12. What are inbound links and why it is important?
Ans: An inbound link is a hyperlink on a 3rd party web page that points on your web page.
Inbound links are probably one of the most important parts of successful search optimization because google and other search engine search multiple relevant inbound links to a page as a sign that the content on the page is useful. There are no. of tools you can use to see inbound links pointing towards your website.
13. What is outbound links does it harm my SEO efforts?
Ans: Outbound links are the links that point to some other domain from your site. when you link out to related domain it not only helps the search engine to understand the niche but also helps to increase the quality and trust of your web site which plays a very vital role in blog SEO.
14. What is robots.txt how it is helpful?
Ans: A robot.txt file is a simple text file placed on a web server which tells web crawler like Googlebot to access a file or not.
15. What is a sitemap? Explain different types of sitemaps?
Ans: A sitemap is a list of pages of a website which are accessible to web crawlers or user.
Types of sitemap:
Visual site map comes in all shapes and sizes but in terms of web code they are only two types:
16. How many heading a page should have and why?
Ans: A page should consist of one <H1> heading (mandatory).
But you can also add up <H2><H3><H4><H5><H6> headings also .
Therefore, it depends on context and requirement analyzed by the user.
17. What is the importance of Webmaster tools particularly Google Webmaster and Bing Webmaster?
Ans: Google webmaster tool tells you basic of your website as it appears in google search including site errors, search queries, URLs indexed via your sitemap. In addition, if you have any message on google regarding your website, including malware warnings or dreaded unnatural links warnings, they would show up as well.
Bing webmaster gives a wider range of information about your website as it appears in bing search including everything from clicks to searches and moreover inbound links.
18. What type of keyword you suggest for my website product and services and why?
Ans: According to my opinion, a keyword must exact and original and should be related to the content present on your website.
Thus, the keywords must be more relevant to the website and linked with the content of the website.
19. Do you know what is Black Hat?
In search engine optimization, black hat SEO are those who use SEO strategies, techniques and tactics aggressively that do not focus on the human audience and only focus on search engines. They do not obey the guidelines of the search engine.
20. What are robots how it is different from robots.txt?
Robot is basically data collector and it can be termed in different fancy terms i.e a bot, a spider or a crawler.
The difference between both of them is, a robot collects data from the websites & robot.txt is a simple text file placed on a web server that tells a robot to access that particular file or not.