Internet is growing and growing day by day. As everything is coming online so there is great need of Internet Marketing Professionals. Are you seekin a career in Internet Marketing? Loking for a Job in SEO? Here in this post I am going to share Search Engine Optimization or SEO Interview Questions and Answers which can help you to crack a fresher level interview for the position of SEO Professional.
Here goes the SEO Interview Questions and Answers for Freshers
- 1 Question 1: What is your own definition for SEO?
- 2 Question 2: Do you follow any Blog about SEO, if yes tell us the name of the blog and its author?
- 3 Question 3: What is page Title. What points you consider to create it for your pages?
- 4 Question 4: What is on-page and off-page or onsite and offsite in SEO?
- 5 Question 5: What tool you use to do keyword research?
- 6 Question 6: Does meta keywords still in use by search engine, why some website still using it.
- 7 Question 7: According to you what are the top 10 ranking factors?
- 8 Question 8: What is PR or PageRank and DA or Domain Authority?
- 9 Question 9: What is a Backlink?
- 10 Question 10: What is the role of anchor text in SEO?
- 11 Question 11: What is the length of page title that most search engine consider?
- 12 Question 12: What are inbound links and why these are important?
- 13 Question 13: What is outbound links does it harm my SEO efforts?
- 14 Question 14: What is robots.txt how it is helpful?
- 15 Question 15: What is sitemap? Explain different type of sitemap?
- 16 Question 16: How many heading a page should have and why?
- 17 Question 17: What is importance of Webmaster tools particularly Google Webmaster and Bing Webmaster?
- 18 Question 18: Do you know what is Black Hat?
- 19 Question 19: What type of keyword you suggest for my website product and services and why?
- 20 Question 20: What are robots how it is different from robots.txt?
Question 1: What is your own definition for SEO?
Answer 1: The process of making changes and optimizing your website according to search engine strategies so that the website can be ranked on the top of Search Engine Result Pages. Therefore,different tactics and strategies used to bring up the website on top which is the main aim of the SEO(Search Engine Optimization).
(You can use your own definition of SEO as well).
Answer 2: ShoutmeLoud.com, SEO RoundTable, RustyBlogger.com and whatever you follow.
Question 3: What is page Title. What points you consider to create it for your pages?
Answer 3: A Page Title is the main heading of a web page. It tells us what the page is all about. It is displayed in the Title bar of the browser. Search engines use page title to recognize the topic of the web page. It is used in the head section of web page.
Syntax of title tag is <Title>Title of the Page</Title>
The main point you need to consider while creating a title is that you should frame it according to the content of the web page.
Question 4: What is on-page and off-page or onsite and offsite in SEO?
On-Page or on-site SEO: On page SEO includes making changes in website layout, coding, design, keyword contents and HTML to make our website search engine friendly.
Off-Page or off-site SEO: It begins after on page activities. In off page SEO we built trust of our websites by linking our website to other big and trustful websites. These websites provide traffic as well as strong backlinks. Off-page activities help in making reputation among search engines and ultimately good ranking in the search engines.
Question 5: What tool you use to do keyword research?
Answer 5: I have used different tools to do effective keyword research. Some of them are:
- SEMrush (paid)
- AdWords Keyword Planner (free)
- WordStream’s Keyword Tool (free)
- Google trends (suggestion)
Question 6: Does meta keywords still in use by search engine, why some website still using it.
Answer 6: Meta Keywords are not in use by google as a ranking factor but search engines like Bing and yahoo still use these meta keywords as a ranking factor. So choose meta tags carefully, avoid overstuffing of keywords and do not include keywords which are not related to your content of your page.
Question 7: According to you what are the top 10 ranking factors?
Answer 7: Ranking factors can be classified into 2 sub categories:
On Page factors:
- Use of keyword in title tag: placing of your keyword at the start of title tag.
- Use of keywords in meta description tags: Including the keywords in meta description tag makes it more relevant and helps in search engine ranking.
- Use of H1, H2 tags(heading tags): Heading tags is another important factor in SE ranking. Must include heading tags in proper way. Learn to write good SEO Optimized Content.
- Avoid Duplication of content: Write original copy for each page.
- Use of Canonical Tags: Purpose of using canonical tags is preventing duplicate content issue. Put canonical tag in your content so that if any other copies your content then you will get its benefit.
Off Page factors:
- Number of linking domains : No of domains linking to your website is one of the most important ranking factor.
- Link relevancy: Always make links from pages which are relevant to your content.
- Domain authority of linking page: Link to pages with higher domain authority.
- Diversity of Link Types: Type of link build to your site matters too. Too many links of one type may be spam indicator and impact your ranking negatively. So build a diverse link profile.
- Link anchors : Vary your anchor text while building links.
Question 8: What is PR or PageRank and DA or Domain Authority?
Answer 8: PageRank was an algorithm used by search engine to rank websites in their search engine results. Page Rank is basically the way of measuring the importance of website pages. It was ranked from 0 to 10. Lowest being zero and the best been 10.
Domain Authority or DA is a measurement of the quality of domain on the basis of their link profile, content and various other coding factors. It is simply known as website trust factor. It is measured from 0 to 100. More the DA more will be the website trust. Learn here How to improve DA of your website?
Answer 9: Backlink is a link back which one website gets from another website.These are used for improving the website’s search engine ranking. Search engine does not allow backlinks but it is important and the best factor to improve website ranking. Create more backlinks from this Social Bookmarking Sites List 2019.
Question 10: What is the role of anchor text in SEO?
Answer 10: Anchor text is a clickable text in a hyperlink. SEO practice dictate the anchor text be relevant to page you are linking with, rather than common or generic text.
Question 11: What is the length of page title that most search engine consider?
Answer 11: Search engine do not like long titles and every search engines has their own conditions of having the title length.The most common title length that most search engines allow is between 50 to 70 characters, including spaces.
Answer 12: An inbound link is a hyperlink or link on a 3rd party web page that points on your web page.
Inbound links are also known as backlinks. These are one of the major ranking factors for any of the website.
Answer 13: Outbound links are the links that point to some other domain from your site. when you link out to related content it not only helps the search engine to understand the niche better, but also help to increase quality and trust of your website which plays a very vital role in web page rankings.
Question 14: What is robots.txt how it is helpful?
Answer 14: A robot.txt is a simple text file placed on web server which tells web crawler like search engine bots to access a file or not in a website. The alternate solution for this is meta robots tags.
Question 15: What is sitemap? Explain different type of sitemap?
Answer 15: A sitemap is list of all pages of website which are accessible to web crawler or may be user too.
There can be 5 types of sitemaps:
- XML Sitemap
- XML.gz Sitemap
- HTML Sitemap
- ROR Sitemap
- URL List
Read more here about the types of sitemaps
Question 16: How many heading a page should have and why?
Answer 16: A page should consist of one <H1> heading tag(mandatory).
You should also add up <H2><H3><H4><H5><H6> headings also according to your need.
It depends on context and requirement analyzed by user .
Question 17: What is importance of Webmaster tools particularly Google Webmaster and Bing Webmaster?
Answer 17: Google webmasters tool is the control house of your website. It tells you all the basic of your website as it appears in google search including site errors, search queries, URLS indexed via your sitemap. In addition, it indicates malware warnings or dredded unnatural links warnings.
Bing web master gives a wider range of information about your website as it appears in bing search including everything from clicks to searches and moreover inbound links. Learn How to Quickly Index a New Website?
Question 18: Do you know what is Black Hat?
Answer 18: In search engine optimization, black hat SEO means unethical SEO practices. These techniques and tactics are aggressively used that do not focus on human audience and only focus on search engines. They do not obey the guidelines of search engine as I earlier said.
Question 19: What type of keyword you suggest for my website product and services and why?
Answer 19: Keywords are based on the type of content and services. I cannot predict before watching the website.
Question 20: What are robots how it is different from robots.txt?
Answer 20: Robot is basically data collector and it can be termed differently in different fancy terms i.e a bot, a spider or a crawler whereas robot.txt is a simple text file placed on web server which tells a robot to access that particular file or not.
Hope you are clear about the basic concepts of SEO and enjoye learning the SEO Interview Questions and Answers for Freshers and beginners. If you still have any doubts, do leave your questions in the comment box. I ll get back to you as soon as possible.